Nativity of the Virgin Bobrenev Monastery, Moscow Region
the mirror field of the disc bears a relief image of the National Coat of Arms of the Russian Federation, over it along the rim there is the semicircular inscription ‘РОССИЙСКАЯ ФЕДЕРАЦИЯ’ (RUSSIAN FEDERATION) framed on both sides by doubled rhombuses, below under the coat of arms there are indications of the precious metal and its fineness on the left and the fine metal content and the mint trade mark on the right, at the bottom in the centre, in three lines, there is an inscription ‘БАНК РОССИИ’ (BANK OF RUSSIA), the denomination of the coin ‘3 РУБЛЯ’ (3 RUBLES), and the year of issue ‘2021 г.’ (2021).
the mirror field of the disc bears a relief image of the monastery and the inscriptions along the rim: ‘БОГОРОДИЦЕРОЖДЕСТВЕНСКИЙ БОБРЕНЕВ МУЖСКОЙ МОНАСТЫРЬ’ (NATIVITY OF THE VIRGIN BOBRENEV MONASTERY) at the top and ‘МОСКОВСКАЯ ОБЛАСТЬ’ (MOSCOW REGION) at the bottom.
Designers: E.V. Kramskaya (obverse), F.S. Andronov (reverse).
Sculptors: A.A. Dolgopolova (obverse), F.S. Andronov (reverse).
Mint: Saint Petersburg Mint (СПМД).
Edge: 300 corrugations.
The Nativity of the Virgin Bobrenev Monastery is located in the village of Staroe Bobrenevo near Kolomna in the Moscow Region.
According to the legend, it was founded at the end of the 14th century by Grand Prince Dmitry Donskoy and his war governor D. M. Bobrok-Volynsky on a vow after the victory in the Battle of Kulikovo. Although there is no documentary evidence of the time of construction, archaeological evidence confirms the early dating of the monastery. During the inspection of the modern Nativity of the Virgin Cathedral, the foundations of an ancient temple dating back to the second half of the 14th century were found. This allowed archaeologists to assume that a temple was found in the laying of which Dmitry Donskoy himself took part.
Two stone churches have survived to this day: the cathedral in honour of the Nativity of the Virgin, built in 1790 and significantly reconstructed in 1830, and the church in honour of Our Lady of Saint Theodore with two side chapels: in honour of Our Lady of Kazan and Saint David of Thessalonika (built in 1861).
Our Lady of Saint Theodore is among the most venerated relics of the monastery.